Sunday, April 15, 2007

Tribute To Mr John Lim

Oh well, since I haven't had anything to write , so I'll just recall about my Secondary 4 E maths teacher, Mr John Lim.

He was the HOD of the Mathematics Department of my secondary school, Pasir Ris Crest Secondary School; he was one of a kind.

His enthusiasm in class is always at its highest, even though some in our class are less attentive and less interested in mathematics. There of course, I was rather attentive in his class and I was rather hardworking (rather, not) . Yeah so then even though at the point of time where most of my classmates didn't understand mathematics ( We were considered the lousiest class back then, basically because we took Design and Technology ), he was really patient, even treated our classmates expensive food( KFC, macs, yeah those kind ).

He was also very humble, liked to keep a low profile (which was one the the reason he quitted teaching after teaching us), although he was rich, it didn't matter to him because as I said, he like to keep a low profile.

The problem with him, is that he is JUST TOO NICE, TOO PATIENT. I felt very angry for him because some of our classmates took advantage of him; one of my classmates (I shall not say who, figure it out for yourself.), Mr John Lim promised a KFC treat after a remedial lesson on saturday, and you know what? That classmate of mine purposely came late, to skip class and to get a treat from him. Yeah that sucked. I felt so mad, I'm sure some of our classmates agree with me, that that guy's a sucker. Mr Lim didn't say anything and still said," ya go have your KFC ok? and remember to do the work that I gave you.". I was like wah, why so nice, let people take advantage of you.

It was definitely a tough time for me during sec 4 term 1, because my basics of maths was like shit. He then told me in private that he was rather disappointed in the term 1 results, as there was no A for our class( I got a b4 btw -.-). Then he asked me, "Ronald, do you want an A?" My answer was definitely a "yes". He wasn't surprised, because he knew I was hardworking. He said, " Ok, i'll give your class past year papers and other school papers to do, to improve on your class maths larh. ". At that point in time I was in his car cos he offered to give me a lift, but I rejected. After my prelims, I was pretty sure he had made a HUGE impact in my life because I got an A2, and I knew that without his guidance and patience, I would never ever have succeeded in the O's.

As he promised, he brought a lot of past year papers and other school papers. So that was the turning point. I started doing every single one of them, not even missing out one. I requested for more after finishing the papers, and any questions I would look for him after school to have him to explain everything to me. The process was tough, but I managed. I went for extra classes that he gave, night studies, and weekend studies in my school. He encouraged me along the way, cracking cold jokes and telling us about his past of how he worked. I was inspired by him even more that being a teacher was the right job for me when I finished my university. I still miss the curry puffs he treated those who came for weekend studies, those were the BEST!!! Not forgetting Mr Lim himself too.

I remember he was the "rival enemy" of our physics teacher, Miss Lena Lim. Hahaha, those two teachers were the jokers la. Our classmates called them "决对情侣" meaning the perfect couple cos they were always bickering. Not to mention they were friends too lah hahaha. I REALLY miss those days la. Mugging in my college is so tough now.

It was went he came that I totally changed my perception of maths. I liked maths, but I loved it when he came to teach, because he would always make maths lessons fun.

When I told him that I got an A1 for maths over the phone, he was overjoyed and told me that I deserved that A1. I thanked him several times back then.

I want to thank him for helping, encouraging me all the way during the judgement period of the O's. If I had a chance in the future, I would definitely follow his model in teaching.

Thank you so much, Mr John Lim.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

YO! dota kia!

lols.


heh. After reading this lil compostition, i realised that i wanna say something..
















I SOOOOOOOOOOO AGREE WITH YOU =D
(dunno how many times i've told this to you (thinks its less than 5 but yeah ) ) WAHAHAHAHAHA


No lahs joking nia =x

btw.. hope hhe's well. and wish him for me if you ever contact him again !

CoconutZai said...

He legend of the legends, like u said.

Anonymous said...

HELLO ronald!
Oh, and xj too!
:D

Anonymous said...

People should read this.